Monday, December 15, 2008

Comic Book Project

So here's the comic book project I did for my art history class, the one entitled "Copy Cats." The professor is a little eccentric, (another person who was in my class did a pretty accurate animation of one of his lectures) but basically the course talked a lot about Aristotle and his ideas of tragedy and comedy, and some "theories on mimesis," or basically as artists why we copy and what we copy.

For my final project I chose the comic book option, and decided to turn Oedipus Rex, a story we had gone over as the perfect example of tragedy, into a comedy. Oh, and the professor loves cartoons and anime and anything campy, so I was trying to appeal to his tastes.

Also, since the theme was "copy cats" I incorporated some things from other comics into mine.

The dinosaur on the first page is based off of T-Rex from Dinosaur Comics

"Fat Pony" on page five (and some influence on my style for the comic) is from Kate Beaton's comics

Almost all of page seven is copied and slightly modified from "300" by Frank Miller (the comic book not the movie)

And of course the story was from Sophocles's Oedipus Rex, which having some prior knowledge of will make this comic much easier to understand.

Also, I did all of this in like two nights, so the art started to get really crappy towards the end. It's really noticeable about the time Jocasta comes into the picture... her and the captain of the guard are about the worst things I've ever drawn.

HERE IT IS



By the way, my professor really liked it and gave me extra credit, so I ended up with a 100.5 for the class. :)

1 comment: